Terms & Conditions

1- You accept to provide us Name, Phone Number, E-mail Address, Vehicle information and other certain information to receive a better and precise service from us

2- When you provide booking information, you agree and you compromise to be present according to place and accept price offered and service details

3- If you choose to pay a 30% deposit, you will be charged the rest 70% when your service is done. You can choose a different payment method (Cash or Credit Card)

4- You accept and understand the characteristics of each contracted service

Cancelations Policy

If you want to cancel a reservation you must do it 12 hours of anticipation by phone (330-524-2348) or e-mail (mauricio@smartautodetails.com). No cancellations or absences are refunded, but you can reschedule your appointment up to 2 times if you paid in full for your service, or reschedule 1 more time if you paid a 30% deposit. You can re-book an appointment anytime available in the future using our website booking system or calling us.

Thanks for your understanding and punctuality.